Thursday, June 4, 2009

Query: Mary (Smith) Jones Brazier of Windham

Member Lowry Drinkwater is looking for some guidance, writing...

I am trying to locate the grave site of my great-great-grandmother. I have been researching her for over two years and thus far have been unable to locate her grave site through online research, personal visits, and library research. I am fairly certain that she is buried in Cumberland County.

This is what I know. My great-grandfather was William Howard Jones, b. 1861 in Windham, Maine, to William Jones (b. about 1835 in Maine) and Mary Smith (b. about 1840 in Maine). William Jones either died or abandoned the family between 1862 and 1866. Mary Smith Jones remarried to Joseph Brazier in 1866 in Windham, Maine. From this point the trail gets cold.

My mother remembers visiting her great-grandmother's grave site with her grandfather William Howard Jones when she was a teenager and she is certain that it was in Cumberland County. She remembers that there was a gravestone, but she has no idea of the name on the stone. As you can see from the above, it could be Mary Smith, Mary Jones, Mary Brazier, or possibly some combination such as Mary Smith Jones, or Mary S. Brazier. Or it could even be that she is buried under some other last name if Joseph Brazier died and she remarried yet again.

I believe that my great-great-grandmother died between 50 and 60 years of age, making her death date between 1890 and 1900.

Is there any way to determine her grave site? I do not mind searching databases, town records, or other documentation. About all I can be sure of is that her maiden name was Mary Smith (b. about 1840) and that she was from Windham, Maine.

Thank you for your help,
Lowry Drinkwater

If you have suggestions or can help, Lowry's email address is lowrydrinkwater@yahoo.com.

No comments: