Wednesday, March 26, 2008

William Howard Jones and Greeley Institute

Member Lowry Drinkwater writes:

I have been in contact with Janet [Weymouth, MGS Vice-President] and many others in an effort to determine the parents and genealogy of my g-grandfather William Howard Jones. From what I have been able to find out, he was born in 1861 in Maine. The town of his birth (according to his death notice) appears to have been Windham, Maine, but as their vital records for the period are missing, I have been unable to determine his parents, grandparents, etc. There is also marriage record in Yarmouth Maine showing his marriage to my great grandmother Jennie Groves. This record indicates that he came from another town, not Windham, and there are no records for him there either.

My query centers on Greeley Institute. It is my understanding from my grandmother (his daughter) that he graduated from Greeley sometime between 1871 and 1881. I am trying to locate the graduation records of this school in the hopes that they might help me forward my search. I have tried several sources including the Maine Historical Society, the Cumberland Historical Society, the Yarmouth Historical Society, and others. All of these contacts proved fruitless.

If someone out there might know where these records are, Lowry would love to hear from you.

His email address is lowrydrinkwater@yahoo.com.

No comments: