Rededication of 1864 Civil War Memorial
Celebration of Hannibal Hamlin's 200th Birthday
Saturday, July 11th, 2009 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Special Cemetery Tour from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM. Led by Dana Lippitt, Curator, Bangor Museum & Center for History. Donations $5.00 per person, proceeds go to the Bangor Museum & Center for History.
- At 11:30 AM, Abraham Lincoln and Hannibal Hamlin will walk from the Superintendant's Lodge to the Civil War Monument for the rededication.
- Participants will include the 20th Maine Company B, the 6th Heavy Artillery, the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War and the Bangor Band.
- Music by the Bangor Band.
- 11:45 - 11:50 AM, remarks by Mayor Gerry Palmer and introductions.
- 11:50 AM - 12:00 PM, accounts of the original ceremony by Earle Shettleworth, Jr., Maine State Historian.
- 12:00 - 12:05 PM, music by the Bangor Band.
- 12:05 - 12:20 PM, Rededication of the Memorial by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.
- 12:20 - 12:30 PM, volleys by the 20th Maine and the 6th Heavy Artillery.
- 12:30 - 12:35 PM, speech by President Abraham Lincoln.
- 12:35 - 12:40 PM, music by Bangor Band as we move to Hannibal Hamlin's grave.
- 12:45 - 12:55 PM, a brief speech from Hamlin and then a wreath will be laid at his grave. Again the 20th will fire a volley in salute to Hamlin.