Sunday, June 29, 2008

New Graphical Search Engine

I was catching up on some old email when I stumbled upon this. I'm worried that I may be showing my geekiness by getting excited over a search engine, but I really like this. The display of the search results, for me anyway, makes it a much quicker and easier process to see if the "hit" is really what you are looking for. I just have to share it and encourage you to check it out!

The following article is from Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter and is copyright by Richard W. Eastman. It is re-published here with the permission of the author. Information about the newsletter is available at http://www.eogn.com.

SearchMe.com is a new search engine that is available as a public beta test. It shows a lot of promise. SearchMe's graphical display of web pages is quite similar to Macintosh and iPod displays: you can "flip" through the pages. Finding relevant web pages usually is faster in SearchMe.com than in traditional search engines such as Google or Yahoo. This is especially true when the pages have lots of graphics or contain sophisticated visual layouts. The results are difficult to describe in words but you will understand within seconds after making your first search.

Enter a search term into the search box, and then use the scroll bar at the bottom to view the found pages.

Try it. It's free. It is also in beta right now, so you might stumble over a bug or two: http://www.SearchMe.com.

No comments: